Welcome to the American House
Originally built in 1790 as a stage coach stop, this central Pennsylvania local landmark known as 'The American House' has also served as a drover's tavern, a hotel/eatery and currently as a large private residence. Eight bedrooms, four full baths ( 2 with claw foot tubs), formal dining room, 'tea room', music room, 'saloon', family room, kitchen, 'sun room', 'loft library' and the 'tavern' account for most of the over 5800 square feet of living space. The two-story original wing has been returned to its 1790 appearance with exposed logs and stone fireplace interior to create 'the tavern' with a large master bedroom on the second floor. Five propane fireplaces add practical charm. Wide hardwood board floors, original hardware including brass numbers on bedroom doors, hand-painted mural depicting the local area circa 1950, goldfish pond, two large stone front porches.
A short walk to trout streams and short drive to popular hunting areas. Near antique and flea markets, horse drawn buggy and sleigh rides, many small- town events (parades, carnival grounds).
The American House is located in the village of East Waterford, Pa. Approximately 26 miles north of the PA Turnpike on State Route 75. Sixty-five miles to state capital (Harrisburg), seventy miles to State College (Penn. State University).